Thriving in a Virtual Landscape Family Resources
Check out this fun and helpful infographic and get some ideas on how to make the most of family life during lockdown. Choose 2 or 3 tips and explore what works for your family!
Thriving in a Virtual Landscape Family Chat with Support Staff
Check out this parent session by our guidance counsellor, Francine McLeod, and Student Services Supervisor, Pauline Landen, to help families manage virtual school.
This informative and motivating article by school parent and Toronto Star reporter, Michele Henry, reminds us that staying active is more important – and in some ways more possible – now than ever. Read her article here and get ready to move! Henry explains that at Paul Penna DJDS, preserving “gym” is a priority for the school in its new Digital Learning Space, because exercise is particularly important in the scope of a long digital day. “Kids need movement to allow their brains to engage properly,” says Head of School Amy Platt. “If we can get their endorphins going that will increase their aptitude to learn.”
This is a stressful time for many students, families and educators. Anxiety, stress and worry is to be expected and is a typical response to these unprecedented times. More than ever it is important that we feel connected and supported as a community.
As the school counsellor, the role of Francine McLeod is to work collaboratively with our staff and families to support the social and emotional growth and the well-being of our students. Francine is available to our families for one-on-one phone/virtual sessions in order to support students in need and/or provide parent coaching to encourage and maintain positive mental health.
Below is Francine’s guide to mental health resources.
● Keys to Parenting Your Anxious Child by Katharina Manassis
● What To Do When You Worry Too Much by Dawn Huebner
● What To Do When You Dread Your Bed by Dawn Huebner
Mental Health Apps:
● MindShift CBT App
● Headspace: Mindfulness and Headspace for Kids
● Stop Breathe Think Kids App: Focus, Calm and Sleep
Mental Health Resources and Websites:
● Anxiety Canada – www.anxietycanada.com
● About Kids Health – www.aboutkidshealth.ca
● International OCD Foundation – https://iocdf.org/
● Youth Mental Health Canada – https://ymhc.ngo/
● Child and Youth Mental Health –
● Sleep on it Canada – https://sleeponitcanada.ca/
● Kids Grief – https://kidsgrief.ca/
● Family Navigation Project – https://sunnybrook.ca/content/?page=family-navigation-project
● Mental Health T.O. – www.mentalhealthto.ca
● What’s Up Walk-In – https://www.whatsupwalkin.ca/
● George Hull Centre – https://georgehullcentre.ca/
● Etobicoke Children’s Centre – http://www.etobicokechildren.com/
● Jewish Children Family Services – https://www.jfandcs.com/
● Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or Text: 686868 – https://kidshelpphone.ca/
● Ask For Help Today Canada: https://askforhelptoday.ca/
○ Get matched with a Registered Psychologist within 24 to 48 hrs – fee for service
○ For children, teens, adults, couples and families